Hey, y’all! If you are checking out this page, you probably have a little bundle of joy on the way, so congratulations on that sweet baby! Time and time again, we have people ask us what our baby registry recommendations are, so here it is in all its glory! I have linked on most items what brands I have or recommend. If you have any questions, I’d love to help! Making a baby registry can be confusing and stressful and it’s always helpful to ask a real life mom who has used these products on actual babies. Don’t get too caught up in everything and remember to have fun making yours!
- Chicco Key Fit 30 Car Seat
- Car Seat Caddy Stroller Frame
- Car Seat Mirror
- Stroller – There are so many types and brands, just ask around what people like! Amazon reviews get too confusing. Let someone buy you the stroller— they are too expensive to buy later! (A couple of my favorites are the Baby Jogger City Select, Uppa Baby Vista, Bob Jogging Stroller, and Baby Jogger City Mini GT.)
- Stroller Organizer
- Baby Carrier – I love the Solly Baby Wrap for newborns and the Ergobaby Omni 360 for bigger babies.
- Baby Bjorn Bouncer – If I could choose only one baby gear item it would be this bouncer! I love being able to keep them on the counter when I’m cooking away from the big kids. This one even reclines nearly flat in case they fall asleep. And it’s not ugly. Brilliant.
- Pack n Play – I like the ones that have the insert that makes it higher like a bassinet. I don’t like having to buy more big gear than I have to and this is what my babies sleep in in our room until they move to their crib.
- Pack n Play Sheets
- Convertible Carseat – You won’t need it right away, but it is great to have it when you need it. I have the Graco Slim Fit for both of my boys, but if you are wanting to fit 3 across in your car someday, check out the Diono Radian.
- Nursing Cover – I LOVE my Amma Cocoon or the multipurpose covers like this one. I use them daily to keep babies asleep in the carseat during errands, a burp rag when I’m in a pinch, and a nursing cover with more coverage.
- Boppy Pillow
- Haaka Pump
- Free Pump through insurance – I have the Spectra
- Nursing Pads
- Nipple Cream – I would just take extra from the hospital for free!
- Breast Milk Bags
- Nursing Tanks
- Nursing Bras – I love my Bao Bei Bralettes and these classic Amazon ones.
- Burp Cloths
- Bottles – We used Tommy Tippee, people also like Dr. Browns and Como Tomo. Make sure to get multiple sizes of nipples, too!
- High Chair – I like the Graco 6-in-1 because of the wheels and ability to use from a younger age, the Ikea one for the looks, and the Inglesina clamp on one if you’re short on space.
- Sippy Cups – Munchkin 360 and Contigo
- Bowls & Plates – I use the Pillowfort ones from Target
- Bibs – I have never used bibs for feeding, to me they just get nasty, my babies rip them off and I never have them when I need them. However, lots of people love the silicone ones with the pocket for food that drops! If you have a spit up baby, these types of bandana bibs are helpful for wearing during the day to avoid multiple outfit changes.
- Diaper Bag – So many options! Either get one that you love or a purse that can fit all of the things. (And don’t make the mistake of trying to get something that will still look “cool” when your husband wears it…he can wear whatever one you get and be just fine.) Many of my friends love the Freshly Picked Diaper Bag Backpack and the Parker Baby Diaper Bag Backpack. My personal favorite is the Elkie & Co Aberdeen Diaper Bag…literally obsessed. Check it out and you’ll see why! I recently reached out to get a coupon code because they can be pricey, and they sent me one to give y’all 10% off! Use UNTOLDJOY at checkout to get the discount.
- Diaper Clutch – I am obsessed with this thing. When we are out I just give this to Evan when he runs to the bathroom to change them and he doesn’t have to take the whole purse. It’s a small thing, but it’s one of my favorites, okay?
- Diapers – Don’t register for only newborn size, they will grow out of them quickly and you will soon be needing bigger sizes.
- Wipes – I swear Huggies are the only brand that you can pull out a single wipe with one hand.
- Diaper Rash Cream
- Changing Pad and Covers* – I usually just end up changing them on my bed or on the floor…this usually only gets used for 6 months or so, so I personally don’t use one. The Pack n Play listed on this list has its own changing section as well. If anything, get the pad and put it on any dresser (your room or the baby’s). You do not need a changing table or dresser that converts into one, get a dresser you really like and will use for years to come, not just in the baby phase!
- Diaper Genie* – We just throw our diapers in the main kitchen trash can and regularly take our trash out. I personally don’t think these are necessary, but some people absolutely love them!
- Baby Bath
- Bathtub Mat – For when they can sit up so they don’t slide around.
- Spout Cover
- Baby Wash
- Baby Towels* – We like to be minimal when it comes to baby gear so we just use our normal big bath towels.
Clothes & Accessories
- Zippered sleepers!!!!! – Honestly don’t even keep any sleepers you get with snaps…no matter how cute they are. Your baby will live in these for the first few months. Make sure to get a few in each size up to 12 months. I personally like to get mostly gender neutral for jammies so that I can use them for any baby.
- Baby Socks
- A pack of onesies in each size up to 12 months
- A couple pairs of pants in each size
- Swaddle Blanket – I would choose one or two cute ones you like, these are useful for putting over them in the carseat, wiping up spit up, etc, but I do not use them as actual swaddles.
- Velcro Swaddles – I love the Ollie Swaddles and the Swaddle Me Velcro Swaddles.
- Halo Sleep Sacks in the bigger sizes for after they grow out of the swaddles (6-12 months).
- Pacifiers – I use Mam and Avent Soothies, lots of people use BIBS
- Pacifier Clips
- Crib Mattress
- Waterproof Crib Mattress Protector
- Crib Sheets
- Sound Machine – I love the portable Hushh for either on the go or at home, and the Hatch for home if you want to splurge. I love being able to control it from my phone and now use it as an “okay to wake” light for my toddlers.
- Baby Monitor – I’ve used the sound-only kind, video kind, wifi kind and then none at all…this is really up to your preference!
- A Glider – You will spend SO much time in this chair so make sure you love it! Try to go to a store where you can actually sit in them.
- Book Shelf
- Hamper – These are randomly kind of expensive and it’s nice to have someone else buy it for you if you can.
- Decor for the baby’s room! If you are wanting an inexpensive way to decorate your baby’s nursery, check out Little Flower Print Co! I’d love to make you something special for your new little babe.
- Baby Thermometer
- Baby Tylenol
- Nose Frieda
- Baby Nail Clippers
- Taking Cara Babies Newborn Course – This is a game changer for so many!
A couple of last thoughts & extra tips:
- You need nothing but at the same time you need some things. I am grateful that I had friends who told me not to buy everything. We didn’t end up with a ton of large expensive baby stuff that we didn’t really use. There are lots of things they sell that you don’t need and they really make them look cute. Resist the urge and your storage and wallet will thank you!
- For big baby gear items like swings, bouncers, activity centers, etc. try to either borrow these things if you think you need one or buy at a second hand store like Kid to Kid or Once Upon a Child. My oldest didn’t care for them so I was glad I didn’t spend hundreds on these items. Next time I would probably buy a bouncer second hand. It’s nice to put them on the counter next to you while you’re cooking and high up away from older siblings.
- TOYS – Babies don’t really care about toys until like almost a year, they like water bottles and whisks and spatulas and reject the cute expensive toys you buy anyways. I recommend not putting any on your registry so that people buy you the essentials first!
- RETURN WHAT YOU DON’T LIKE IMMEDIATELY FOR STORE CREDIT AND DON’T FEEL BAD ABOUT IT! This is so important. You will get plenty of duplicates, extras and things you may just not like. Especially clothes. If you don’t think you’ll really dress your baby in something, you won’t. You can usually return things for store credit (especially at Target this is easy!) and get what you actually need.
- Lastly, try not to get too deep in Amazon reviews and blog posts. Just register for what you want and ask a friend if you need help. Real moms with real experience are (usually) less stressful than having the internet throw so many things at you trying to get your business. You are the mom and you are going to be great at it!
I hope this was helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions or are curious about a specific product. I would love to hear in the comments below what your must-have baby registry items are!
Thanks again for being here!
Untold Joy is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.